SERVPRO Press Release
SERVPRO’s Storm Response Team Arrives at Atlanta Flood, Offers Cleanup Tips
ATLANTA (September 21, 2009) -- After the weekend’s torrential downpours in the Atlanta area, many homeowners and business owners are facing water-damaged structures. The SERVPRO Storm Response Team wants the public to know the first several days after the disaster are critical to preventing unnecessary secondary damages.
SERVPRO would like to offer the following steps you can take now to help minimize additional damage to your home, business and possessions.
• Ensure local authorities have given the “all clear” for your area.
• Ensure your electricity is turned off before entering a flooded structure.
• Remove as much excess water as possible with wet-dry vacuums, mops, and towels.
• Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for drying.
• Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
• Remove any valuable paintings and art objects to a safe, dry place.
• Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
• Don't leave wet fabrics in place; dry as soon as possible.
• Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
• Don't use television or other household appliances while standing on wet floors or carpets.
• Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
• Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
“A lot of the victims of this flood will need professional services to clean up their homes and businesses,” said Don Turner, SERVPRO® Storm Response Team Manager. “But we want them to know the steps they can take to help minimize damage until the professionals arrive.”
With more than 1,400 Franchises nationwide, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week for emergency response. As a national leader in fire, water and mold cleanup and restoration, SERVPRO has recently mobilized its elite Storm Response Team for such disasters as Hurricane Gustav, the 2008 Iowa floods, the 2007 Ohio floods and the 2007 California wildfires. For more safety and restoration tips, contact your local SERVPRO Franchise or dial 1-800-SERVPRO.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO franchise system is a national leader and provider of fire, water, mold and other specialty cleanup and restoration services. SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,400 individually owned and operated franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss situations.