After a construction project is complete, there is still a lot of work to do before the area is ready for use. Post-construction cleaning is essential for creating a safe and healthy environment for occupants and visitors. But who is responsible for cleaning up after construction? What are the steps for post-construction cleaning for both interior and exterior areas? When do you need to call in a professional? This article will cover the answers to these questions and provide a construction cleaning checklist to help you get your home or business in pristine condition after a construction project.
Who is Responsible for Post-Construction Cleaning?
The construction company is typically responsible for the initial cleanup of the area after a project is completed. They should clear the site of materials, waste, and debris, and ensure the area is safe for use. While any additional cleaning that is needed after the construction company leaves is the responsibility of the homeowner or business owner, remember that a company like SERVPRO® specializes in cleaning. So, if the cleanup job is too much to handle, give us a call.
Post-Construction Interior Cleaning
Once the construction company has completed its work, it’s time to begin the interior cleaning process. Here is a step-by-step post-construction interior cleaning checklist:
1. Dust and vacuum. Begin by dusting and vacuuming all surfaces, including floors, walls, ceilings, windows, and furniture. For best results, use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to capture all dust particles.
2. Clean surfaces. Wipe down all surfaces with a disinfecting cleaner, such as the professional disinfecting products unique to SERVPRO®. This includes countertops, windows, walls, and other surfaces.
3. Clean windows. Clean all windows with a glass cleaner. If necessary, use a ladder to reach higher windows.
4. Clean carpets. Vacuum carpets thoroughly, then use a carpet cleaner to deep clean and remove any dirt, dust, and debris. If possible, have the carpets professionally cleaned using a qualified service like SERVPRO®.
5. Clean cabinets and drawers. Open cabinets and drawers and wipe them down with a disinfecting cleaner.
6. Clean light fixtures. Remove any dust or dirt from all light fixtures, including bulbs and covers.
7. Clean air vents and ducts. Vacuum all air vents and ducts with a HEPA filter vacuum. This will help reduce dust and allergens in the air.
Post-Construction Exterior Cleaning
Post-construction exterior cleaning is just as important as interior cleaning. Here is a step-by-step post-construction exterior cleaning checklist:
1. Remove debris from the yard, garage, or other areas outside the home or business. Begin by removing any debris left behind by the construction company. This includes nails, screws, sawdust, and other materials.
2. Wash exterior walls. Use a pressure washer to clean exterior walls and remove any dirt, dust, and debris.
3. Clean windows. Clean all windows with a glass cleaner.
4. Clean gutters. Clean gutters of any debris and inspect for any signs of damage.
5. Clean walkways and driveways. Sweep walkways and driveways to remove any dirt and debris.
6. Clean patios and decks. Sweep patios and decks and use a pressure washer to remove any dirt and debris.
7. Clean fences and gates, using a tool such as a pressure washer.
When to Call a Professional for Post-Construction Cleaning
Post-construction cleaning can be an overwhelming task, and it’s not always easy to know when to call in a professional. Here are a few signs that you may need to call a professional like SERVPRO® for post-construction cleaning:
- You are unable to complete the post-construction cleaning yourself due to time constraints or lack of resources.
- You need to ensure all dust, debris, and other materials are thoroughly removed from the area.
- You need to ensure the area is safe and sanitized before use.
- You need to have the area professionally cleaned to meet local regulations or standards.
SERVPRO® is Always Here to Help
When you find yourself in need of professional post-construction cleaning services, SERVPRO® is here to help. We provide cleanup, restoration, and construction services and are available 24/7 year-round. Our experienced technicians have the expertise and equipment necessary to complete the job quickly and efficiently. With our help, you can be sure that your home or business is in pristine condition after a construction project. Call SERVPRO® today to learn more about our post-construction cleaning services.Remember, with over 2000 franchises across the United States and Canada, a SERVPRO® franchise is never far away. Our teams live in the areas they serve, so you can take comfort knowing the technicians in your home or business are intimately familiar with the area. Additionally, we come to each job with the resources, knowledge, and equipment of a national brand that’s been in business over 5 decades. We are committed to arriving onsite within one hour of your call, and returning your space to preloss condition, “Like it never even happened.” ® We service 90% of all US zip codes within two hours, so give us a call or visit servpro.com to find your nearest location. For further information, review our FAQ and Glossary.