Hurricane Laura Cleanup and Restoration
Here to Help® and Ready to Respond
Hurricane Laura has rapidly intensified, as expected, and is now a major hurricane at Category 3 strength. With a hurricane of this magnitude, devastating damage will occur with tropical storm force winds uprooting trees and causing electricity and power outages.
This storm is expected to cause major flooding along the Texas/Louisiana border including the Greater Houston - Galveston, Texas area. Storm surges impacts are expected between 8 to 15ft and extreme caution is urged. Rainfall totals are anticpated between 3-8 inches with urban flooding and flash flooding expected.
In addition to the 120 local franchises located in the areas likely to be affected, SERVPRO has a national network of more than 1,800 franchises across the country. Designated Disaster Recovery Teams are ready to mobilize if more resources are needed.
Based on the current trajectory of Hurricane Laura, the primary impact area is Houston-Galveston, with various watches and warnings extending to Southern Texas and Western Louisiana.
Hurricane and Tropical Storm Emergency Preparedness
Warm waters and very little wind shear could cause Laura to intensify into a major hurricane. As Laura continues to gain momentum moving northwest through the Gulf of Mexico, SERVPRO® urges residents in the storm’s path to remember the importance of disaster preparedness. The key to disaster preparedness is having an emergency plan in place before disaster strikes. Following a few simple steps can go a long way to protect your family and your property in the event of a weather-related disaster.
Build a basic emergency supply Kit. A basic kit should be stocked to supply you and each of your family members with water and food for at least three days. Consider including food for pets, as well as any necessary medications in your kit. Recommended emergency supply kit items include:
- Water (one gallon/person per day)
- Three day non-perishable Food supply
- Manual Can Opener
- Battery-operated Radio, preferably a NOAA Weather radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First Aid Kit Whistle (to signal for help)
- Local Maps Important Documents, such as copies of Insurance Policies, identification and Bank Account information Matches (in a waterproof container)
Storm surge could be life-threatening, and Storm Surge Warnings have been issued to areas of Houston, Galveston and parts of Louisiana. SERVPRO® suggests the following steps to help minimize additional damage to your property while waiting for disaster professionals to arrive. If the water does enter the structure through the flooding of a creek, stream or river, or if it has filtered through insulation during its intrusion, it is considered to be black water and could be hazardous to your health.
- Avoid contact with contaminated items as much as possible.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home.
- Wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Throw away all foods—even canned goods—that have come into contact with flood waters.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for drying.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today 1-800-SERVPRO
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals
Why Choose a SERVPRO Franchise Professional?
They’re Faster to Any Size Disaster
SERVPRO professionals are dedicated to responding immediately to hurricane and tropical storm damage with experienced cleanup crews. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces cost.
They're Highly Trained Water Damage Specialists
They specialize in water and storm damage restoration, including damage caused by hurricanes, tropical storms, storm surges, heavy rainfall, and wind damage. SERVPRO professionals have extensive water damage restoration training that enables them to get you back to normal.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
They Have the Resources to Handle Storms and Disasters
SERVPRO professionals have a national network of over 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Team strategically located throughout the country.
Regardless of the Storm Damage, SERVPRO Can Help
Hurricane and tropical storm damage can be devastating over a widespread area, so you’ll need the company that you can trust to rise to the occasion. Regardless of the extent of the damage, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can handle any size disaster. During severe weather events like Hurricane Laura, our Disaster Recovery Team can respond quickly with additional resources.