SERVPRO® deploys Disaster Recovery Team in response to Flooded Areas in Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois
Crews ready to restore storm-damaged homes and businesses
GALLATIN, Tennessee, July 12, 2017 - Multiple waves of heavy rainfall has caused widespread flooding across Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. Additional flooding is anticipated as the rain continues through Thursday. SERVPRO’s Disaster Recovery Team has been activated to assist residents and business owners in flood affected areas.
The days immediately following a flood event are critical to prevent secondary damages, like mold. SERVPRO® suggests the following steps to help minimize additional damage to your property.
- If the water has entered the structure through the flooding of a creek, stream or river, or if it has filtered through insulation during its intrusion, it is considered to be black water and could be hazardous to your health. Avoid contact with contaminated items as much as possible.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Throw away all foods - even canned goods - that have come into contact with flood waters.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for drying. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Place fans at 45-degree angles to walls and move large furniture away from walls to create the best air circulation.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
"The first 24 hours after a water damage or flood are so crucial to keeping final costs of the damage down," said Brian Petraitis, SERVPRO’s Disaster Recovery Manager. "A lot of flood situations require professional equipment and knowledge of the science of drying to mitigate. By taking these steps, property owners can help minimize damage until the professionals arrive."
SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team mobilizes from across the country, as needed, to support large storm events. SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team has responded to large loss and storm events across the country, including: 2016 Hurricane Matthew, 2016 Louisiana Flooding, 2016 Houston Flooding, 2015 Siberian Express, 2014 Mid-Atlantic Flooding, 2014 Polar Vortex, 2013 Colorado Floods, 2013 Alberta, Canada Floods, 2012 Hurricane Sandy, 2012 Hurricane Isaac, 2011 Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee, 2011 North Dakota Floods, 2010 Tennessee Floods, 2010 New England Floods, 2009 California Wildfires and 2008 Hurricane Ike.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO Franchise System is a leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services, and mold mitigation and remediation. SERVPRO's professional services network of more than 1,700 individually owned and operated Franchises responds to property damage emergencies ranging from small individual disasters to multi-million dollar large-loss events. Providing coverage in the United States and Canada, the SERVPRO System has established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients, as well as individual homeowners.